Tuesday, July 23, 2024


I had a question about how to replace a lost Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC). Nor­mally, I would instruct the Veteran to visit the nearest VA health facility to request a new or re­placement card. This Veteran is a resident at the MN State Veterans Home in Silver Bay necessi­tating an alternate solution. Not everyone is able or wants to make the trip, so one more article about VA health. This one is for you DB.

I acquired this from VA website www.va.gov/health-care/get-health-id-card/

A Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) is a photo ID card you’ll use to check in at your VA health care appointments. Learn how to get a VHIC in person or online—and how to replace a lost or stolen card. You will need to be enrolled in VA health care. After you receive your VA health care welcome call, you can apply for a VHIC in person at a VA medical center or online which is the focus of this article.

Note: Only request your card once, either in person or online. If you request your card more than once, it will cause a delay.

You will sign in to AccessVA to request your VHIC. https://eauth.va.gov/accessva/?cspSelectFor=vhic-ss

You’ll need a Login.gov, ID.me, DS Logon, My HealtheVet, or Department of Defense Common Access Card (CAC) account. If you don’t have any of these accounts, then follow the instructions on the sign-in page to register for a sign-in partner.

When you apply for a VHIC online, you’ll need to upload a digital photo of yourself and a copy of your current photo ID. Upload a copy of any of these types of current, unexpired IDs: state-issued driver’s license, U.S. pass­port, federal, state, or local government-issued photo ID showing your name, address, and date of birth.

Upload a digital color photo of yourself that follows these rules: use a photo taken in the last 6 months, use a white or off-white back­ground, show a full front view of your face (with no hat, head covering, face covering, head­phones, or eyeglasses), make sure your eyes are open and your hair isn’t covering your eyes or ears, crop the photo in a square shape from your shoulders up (like a passport photo), and up­load your photo as a .jpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif, or .tiff file

You should receive your VHIC in about 10 days. If you do not receive it, then call VA at 877-22-8387.

Brad Anderson and Melissa Crandall are the Lake County Veterans Service Officers and can be reached at 218.834.8326 or cvso@co.lake.mn.us

Karen Christianson is the Cook County Veterans Service Officer and can be reached at 218.387.3639, or karen.christianson@co.cook.mn.us

- Advertisment -

Most Popular