Friday, May 24, 2024
HomeCommunityVeteran Identification Cards

Veteran Identification Cards

I am not able to take much credit for the articles I write. I am either writing about new benefits or addressing common questions I receive. Full transparency, most of my articles are self-serving in my twisted way of creating more work for myself which results in more Veterans receiving benefits and services. One common topic of discussion is the muchsought-after Veteran ID Card. The options are not endless, as you have four options.

The first and least-likely option is the Department of Defense (DoD) Identification Card for those active military and retired military types (National Guard and Reservists may also fall into this category). If you think are eligible, then you should likely already have a Common Access Card (CAC) or Uniformed Services ID Card (USID). If not, then you will need to complete and submit an Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment DD Form 1172-2 to a Real-Time Automated Identification System (RAPIDS) office for processing.

Next up, the Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) which requires you to be enrolled in VA health care. If you are not familiar with enrollment, then welcome to my article as I have written about this on a few previous occasions. Requesting a VHIC can be done in person at your nearest VA medical center (please call ahead if you do not have an appointment). You can also request a VHIC online by visiting this website https:// eauth.va.gov/accessva/?cspSelectFor=vhic-ss

The Veteran ID Card (VIC) is what I consider the most challenging to acquire due to the lengthy online process to request it. According to VA, as of September 2022, all new VICs are digitalÖ no more card you can place in your purse or wallet. Should you still want to go this route, then you will need to be very computer savvy and head over to this website www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-idcards/vic/

The final option is to have the Veteran designation added to your Minnesota driver’s license. You will need to take your DD-214 to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when you renew your license and request that the designation be added.

Hopefully one of these options provides the ability to prove you are a Veteran for any number of reasons to include potential discounts. Please keep in mind your CVSO is not able to issue any of the four identification cards.

Brad Anderson is the Lake County Veterans Service Officer and can be reached at 218.834.8326, or cvso@co.lake.mn.us

Karen Christianson is the Cook County Veterans Service Officer and can be reached at 218.387.3639, or karen.christianson@co.cook.mn.us

- Advertisment -

Most Popular